Ylang Ylang is a popular essential oil with a soft, flowery fragrance that makes it a favourite with Aromatherapists and perfumers across the world. This lovely oil is well known for relieving anxiety thanks to its uplifting and calming effects.
Yland Ylang oil is derived by steam distillation of the small, white petals of the flowering Ylang Ylang tree, found in the rainforests of Asian and South Pacific Islands. It's a joyful oil, helping in promoting a more optimistic outlook and a more positive attitude while soothing fears. It has a strong sedative effect which assists in calming nervousness and anxiety.
Like all essential oils, smell acts directly on the brain’s olfactory system. Therefore the positive effects are immediate, helping to release negative emotions, including low self-esteem, jealousy and anger. It also has a mild sedative effect.
In 2006 Korea’s Geochang Provincial College in Korea, found that when Ylang Ylang was combined with Lavender and Bergamot and used daily for four weeks, patients’ cortisol levels and psychological stress responses were reduced.
- Anti-depressant – Fights depression, relaxes both body and mind to help drive away anxiety, sadness and chronic stress
- Uplifting - Increases feelings of wellbeing, and self esteem,
- Helps to shed inhibitions and help confidence.
- Sedative – Helps provide relief from stress and anxiety, induces a relaxed feeling
- Aphrodisiac properties.
- Believed to help fight insomnia and chronic fatigue
- Anti-seborrhoeic – Regularizing sebum production and treating infection
- Anti-septic – Protects wounds from infection
- Hypotensive – Helps lower blood pressure
- Nervine - Health booster to the nervous system
Steam inhalation, massage, ( when mixed with a carrier oil), diffuser
Citrus oils, especially Mandarin. Jasmine, Patchouli, Rose